Ever wonder how they pull off the cool fight scenes and stunts in the Action Movies? Or how they handle the weapons with precise execution? The Extraordinary Film Choreographer Dave White will be conducting a Film Combat Workshop November 15th and 16th from 10 AM to 4 PM @ Keep the Change Studios! 3447 E. Ocean View Ave Norfolk VA. This is one workshop you do not want to miss! For more information call Dave at 757-717-2038 or email him at Dlyt3@msn.com ….Space is limited!
Come join us for a meet and great, updates on current projects and festivals, news on upcoming workshops, guest speaker and more. This will be the last general meeting before the new year.
Guest speaker Sean Gaffney- Writer
Attendance is free for VPA members and $5 for non vpa members.
Meeting will be held at Regent University, in screening room A at 6:30pm.
Regent University, 1000 Regent University Dr. Virginia Beach, Va
Learn visual storytelling from the guy who blew up the Death Star in the original Star Wars movie!
SEVA Fest is the Mid-Atlantic Conference for film professionals held in SouthEast VirginiA. SEVA invites veteran filmmakers to share their experiences and teach what they have learned while working. It is open to anyone with a desire to network with other film professionals, discover new talent, and to better learn the creative technologies, techniques, and tools of the industry.
The inaugural SEVA Fest will be held at Regent University on October 18 and 19, 2014. It will feature workshops and panel discussions hosted by Bruce Logan, Alister Chapman, Sean Gaffney, and Michael Copon – with the emphasis of storytelling using today’s modern technology. Space is limited. Don’t miss out on this exciting inaugural event!
Over the course of two days you have the opportunity to attend the following exciting and informative seminars:
Bruce Logan and Alister Chapman team up for a 2 day Visual Storytelling Workshop – “From Script to Screen:”
- Preparing for the Written Page
- Director/Producer Relationship
- Selecting Crew
- Storytelling with Light
- Working with Green Screens
- Understanding and Working with the Technology of Digital Cinematography
- Gamma Curves: How to Get the most Dynamic Range
Actor/Director Michael Copon:
- How to Break into the Industry as an Actor
- Meisner Technique
- “From pre-production to distribution”
- Michael will also be sharing stories of his Hollywood experience and what he has learned as an independent film producer, and what pitfalls to avoid.
Writer Sean Gaffney:
- The Essentials for a Strong Story
- The Film Idea
- Structure for Success
- Dealing with the Exposition Hump, and Visual Storytelling
- Sean will draw on examples from current cinema, studying what works and creating a road map to avoid pitfalls.
Join Convergent Design’s Mitch Gross for an exciting and in-depth demonstration of the Convergent Design Odyssey 7Q OLED Monitor/Recorder on Saturday Only
- The Odyssey7Q combines Convergent Design’s knowledge and experience of both broadcast and cinematography recorders, while adding the capabilities of a high-end professional monitor. Odyssey7Q is a brilliant 7.7″ OLED monitor with 3400:1 contrast, true blacks, 1280×800 resolution and comprehensive monitoring tools.
- Odyssey7Q is the best tool in your kit…Powerful and lightweight! It’s also the best and most versatile portable recorder, enabling you to record 4K RAW, Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), Canon RAW, Sony FS700 RAW, ARRI Raw, Multi-Stream and more…
- Learn more about this amazing product here: https://www.convergent-design.com/products/odyssey7q.html
- Working with 4K – Sony’s latest in Digital Cinematography tools including the F55, FS700, and 4K projection
- We expect to have Sony F5, F55, FS700, A7S, and the new FS7 cameras on site the entire weekend!
Virginia Production Alliance:
- Students who pay to attend will receive a one year membership in the VPA, free of charge.
- Bring your Student ID and your paid registration with you to the registration table to receive your free one year VPA membership
We need a few volunteers to represent the VPA at Monster Fest from 10AM -4PM this Sat, Oct 4th. Ideally, one or two people in two hour shifts would be enough, but if you can help out for one hour or four, we can use you. You can even come in your favorite monster costume and get into the spirit of the festival. Contact Dave Hobbs at DLHOBBS62@hotmail.com.
The VPA needs YOU!
Monster Fest is the FREE annual one day home grown horror event that kicks off the Halloween season in Hampton Roads! In it’s 11th year Monster Fest will have over 60 dealer tables and special guests. Check out the website: www.monsterfestva.com for a list of guests and vendors. Panels all day long, treat or treating for all kids in costume and a double feature movie night with live band the Sons of Frankenstein before the movies. Monster Fest starts at 10 am , closes at 5 pm the doors open back up at 7;30 pm for the double feature monster movie night!
Coming soon to Hampton Roads, August 21-24th, The East Coast X Fest is a film and television industry festival created to connect emerging actors, production crew and filmmakers to the resources they need to achieve their dreams. If you want to become a part of the industry, learn more about what it takes to succeed in the industry or simply connect with other industry professionals, than this is one festival you simply can’t miss. Daily workshops, seminars, and panel discussions led by award winning industry professionals are designed to teach you cutting edge techniques and help you perfect your craft. ECX Fest is for filmmakers looking for distribution, producers looking for financing for their next project, actors looking to connect with casting directors and anyone who is a fan of film and television.
The East Coast X Fest caters to adrenaline junkies of all ages. Action sports, comedies, horror, documentaries… anything with attitude; all screen during the most exciting 2 weeks of the summer. Set against the backdrop of the largest surf contest on the east coast and taking place in the middle of countless extreme action sports exhibitions, the ECX is not your typical festival. Our film screenings go beyond the conventional theater setting. Movie-goers can choose between indoor and outdoor theaters to enhance their experience. Daily workshops with industry professionals, a kickoff concert on the eve of the festival, several daily screenings and nightly after-parties make the East Coast X Film Festival the most exciting opportunity to feature your film or documentary.
Announcing the new Hampton Roads Board of Directors:
- Tiffany Armstrong- Chairman
- Dave Hobbs- Vice Chairman
- John Howell- Vice Chairman
- Bill Armstrong- Secretary
- Brooke Lawsing- Treasurer
- Marty Terry-Chairman Emeritus
- Nick Ventura- Board Member at Large
- Monty Ross- Board Member at Large
- Will Rodriguez- Board Member at Large
- Clyde Santana- Board Member at Large
- Tom White- Board Member at Large
- Chris Abaya- Board Member at Large
- James Lea- Board Member at Large
- John Wilkins- Board Member at Large
- Judi Flowers- Board Member at Large
- Mark Burnett- Board Member at Large
- Andrew Quicke- Board Member at Large
- Dave Olson- Board Member at Large
- Tomeka Winbourne- Board Member at Large
- Arlie Hammons- Board Member at Large
Congratulations and Thank you to the new board, We are excited to collaborate with you and bring the Hampton Roads VPA to a new productive and creative level. The board will now start meeting monthly, to be more productive. We will also be giving constant updates on new projects and workshops as the details become available. Our next General Meeting will be July 8th, 2014 at Regent University in Screening room A of the Communications Building. Please stay tuned for more details.